Career Planning – A Practical Guide
Career Planning – A Practical Guide is an online distance learning course from Crescente. The course is designed to meet the needs of three different audiences:
- Individuals wanting practical tools and templates to help them through a career transition
- Line managers, coaches and mentors looking for tools to support other people with career planning
- HR and Talent professionals needing a ready-made solution to slot into their succession planning, talent management and outplacement processes.
This course can be tailored to your specific needs for online or face-to-face delivery. For example we currently offer a version of this course tailored to the specific needs of different NHS clinical and medical staff groups. We also have delivered a Career Planning programmes for engineers. Please contact us for more information.
PLEASE NOTE: 31/12/20 this course has been developed and is now undergoing testing. If you’re interested in taking this course right away, please do give us a call us on 01225 344 981 or contact us using the details on the form below. We’re rolling this out to one of our public sector client organisations, so look out for a case study coming later in the year.
About this course
In Career Planning – A Practical Guide you learn why it is important to have a career plan and a flexible process to give you confidence. You will complete a range of career planning tools using the templates provided.
Optional one-to-one sessions are also available with our experienced career coaches if you need support for yourself or for your people.
- Understand the career planning process
- Build a complete career plan
- Implement your career plan and review progress
- Recognise where career planning fits into wider business processes including talent management, succession planning, retirement planning and outplacement.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR OWN CAREER DRIVERS
- Assess your intrinsic motivation factors and priorities
- Recognise extrinsic factors that affect your career options
- Know what role is really right for you
THE VALUE OF YOUR CURRENT SKILLSET IN THE MARKET
- Identify your current personal and professional skills and skills gaps
- Discover what career options are available to you
- Explore the different roles available and what skills they require
CREATE YOUR OWN CAREER DEVELOPMENT PLAN
- Plan a timeline for your professional and personal development
- Identify the people and resources you’ll need to succeed
- Define solutions to potential barriers
- Know your grapevine
- Learn who, how and when to influence
IMPLEMENTING YOUR PLAN
- Making the decision
- Expanding your network to get noticed and develop opportunities
- Understanding how to get relevant work experience for different roles
- How to apply for jobs: writing applications, CVs and cover letters / emails
GETTING THE JOB
- Preparing for interviews and assessment centres
- Preparing for and delivering formal presentations for selection
- Staying positive and handling rejection
REVIEW AND REPEAT
- Review your plans to take advantage of future opportunities